Monday, April 22, 2013

Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal with Individual Toppings

Review by Jami:


Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
5 full droppers of Stevia  
1/2 c Sucanat ( Use 1 c. of honey or a full cup of sucanat if you don’t have Stevia, but I highly recommend buying the vanilla creme Stevia)
1 c. applesauce, unsweetened
5 c. old fashioned oats
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 c. 1 % milk


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all liquid ingredients except milk. Add sucanat. Add the fruit gently to the wet mixture. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl then pour into the wet and mix well. Add the milk, mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 35-40 minutes.


I wanted an easy breakfast or snack option that was portable and healthy. This recipe seemed like the perfect solution and I was excited to try it.

The Changes: I decided to use egg whites rather than a full egg for less calories and cholesterol. I added some wheat germ (1/4 cup to be exact) because what the hell, more healthy stuff can’t hurt. I also used almond slices, raisins and sweetened coconut flakes to the mix. I didn’t bother with the individual toppings since the whole family likes the afore mentioned, but I do think it’s a great option for the picky pants.


I also made one batch of 12 and thought it tasted a little bland, so I added two scoops of vanilla protein powder for added sweetness and more protein. I have a houseful of fitness fanatics who can never get enough, so any chance to add protein is always a benefit.

The Procedure: Mix all the ingredients and spoon into cupcake liners. The batter is wet enough to easily do this by hand, but use a mixer if you prefer. I sprayed the first batch with cooking spray but didn’t bother with the rest. If you’re careful peeling off the liners, I don’t think spray is necessary. The liners come off fairly easily, especially after they’ve cooled.

The Result: I ended up with over 3 dozen of these, I don’t know why it was so different than the original post but I’m not complaining. I froze 2 dozen for the future and we’ll put away the remaining throughout the week.

Recommendations: If you are following the original recipe, I would definitely recommend adding more sweetness, either with sweetener or additions like chocolate chips, raisins, etc. My batch was pretty bland and “healthy” tasting which is fine for me but not so much for kids, though I think personalizing them might help. Don’t be afraid to add a couple of not-necessarily-healthy ingredients to yum them up a little. A good idea and recipe, I’ll probably make this again but with more sweet things.

No comments:

Post a Comment