Monday, July 25, 2022

5-Ingredient Bread (clean eating)

When it comes to bread I am so very picky. I’m a bread lover to the core but I’ve always been anti-wheat bread (or pasta or tortillas for that matter). It’s just a nasty taste to me. So when I saw this recipe on a clean eating website I did not have very high expectations, despite the great reviews. The bread turned out pretty dense but it was actually really good! Especially toasted! I sprinkled some everything but the bagel seasoning on the top before I baked mine. Because there’s no preservatives, if you’re not going to eat it up in 3-4 days, I would suggest freezing half and pulling it out as needed. As a party of one, I take out 1/3 of a loaf from the freezer at a time. I can’t wait to try it as rolls next time to use with sandwiches.


Makes: 12 servings - Serving size: 1 slice

Each Serving Contains: 0 Protein, 1 Carbohydrate, 0 Vegetables, 0 Fat


INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp yeast

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 Tbsp honey

1-1/2 cups warm water

3 cups whole wheat flour

 

DIRECTIONS

Add yeast, salt and honey to water and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Gradually mix in flour until dough forms and is not sticking to your hands. Add flour in increments of 1 Tbsp at a time, if necessary.

Put in lightly oiled bowl and cover with damp towel for 20-30 minutes. Mine didn’t seem to rise much after 30 minutes so I did an hour.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place in lightly oiled loaf pan and bake 15-20 minutes, until hollow when tapped.

Note: Optional toppings / additions before baking:

  • Everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Sprinkle with garlic powder
  • Herbs: oregano, parsley, rosemary
  • Sun-dried tomato
  • Olives

You can also roll into 12 individual rolls instead of using a loaf pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment