Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cake batter frozen greek yogurt

Review by Lyndee:
Last night I was finally unpacking all my stuff from the weekend in Cresco with my sister.  I found the bag of cake mixes and frosting I had picked up at Fareway.  10 for $10 so I couldn’t resist.  Anyway, there was still part of a vanilla cake mix leftover from making my cake batter truffles so I set it on the counter and stared at it for a while until inspiration struck.   What if I could make a frozen yogurt that was cake batter flavored?  Now, anyone besides me probably would’ve researched some recipes online or came up with a concrete game plan.  Not this girl!

I dumped the remaining cup of cake mix in a bowl and added a small container of greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of sugar.  I added 1 teaspoon of sprinkles for fun, mixed it up and it tasted pretty dang good! I threw it in the freezer and went for a walk. I was anxious to try it when I returned.

The initial bite of frozen yogurt was great BUT there was that bitter greek yogurt after taste.  Ugh! I finally went online to see if I could find some pointers and the few that I found said to make sure you  make it almost crazy sweet because once it sets in the freezer, the greek yogurt flavor will become prominent. It wasn’t bad by any means and I will definitely eat it.  It just wasn’t the sweet, smooth , creaminess I had dreamed it would be.  Next time I will try to up the vanilla and sugar or try a vanilla or honey flavored greek yogurt instead of plain.  If you’re going to try this, here’s what I would suggest:

8 oz container greek yogurt (vanilla or honey)
1 cup cake mix (I used vanilla)
3 tsps vanilla extract
3 tsps sugar
1 tsp sprinkles

Mix well and freeze for two hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment