Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cereal bars with Cheerios

Review by Rachael:

Cheerios were on sale awhile back & I stocked up. Unfortunately they aren’t getting eaten as fast as I thought they might. So I had to find another way to use them up!  I searched for a scotcharoo recipe online & switched out the rice crispies for cheerios.

6 cups of cereal
½ cup of chocolate chips
½ cup of butterscotch chips
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of Karo Syrup
1 ½ cups Peanut butter

Mix the sugar, peanut butter & syrup in a large pan over medium heat. Stir until peanut butter is melted. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Stir in cereal immediately.
Press mixture into a well greased (buttered) cake pan. 

In another sauce pan melt the chocolate & butterscotch chips over low heat. Stirring until fully melted. Once melted pour over bars as a frosting.
Mine did not cover the bars as I had hoped, so I did another ½ cup of each chip and melted. This time it was much better.
It took awhile for the “frosting” to set up but it tastes wonderful! I think you could make these with any plain cereal. Everyone in the house loved them!


No comments:

Post a Comment