Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cake Mix Rice Krispy Bars -- Not Worth the Calories

Review by Melody:
Tried these last night with the kiddos.  It was a fun, easy project to do with the kids.  However, after making them, I really didn't taste too much of a difference when comparing them to a regular krispy bar.  These were a bit chewier, had sprinkles, and had a 1/3 cup of cake mix mixed in with the marshmallows as they melted.  More importantly, you use only 1/3 cup of a cake mix, so you're left with the rest of a cake mix.  To use up the rest of the mix, I opted to make cake mix cookies, as suggested by the posting blogger.  They turned out okay, but I'd rather a chocolate chip cookie.  I don't think I'll try either of these again, and instead, I'll opt for the classic rice krispy bar version. 

The pin originated from http://gimmesomeoven.com/cake-batter-rice-crispy-treats/.  Overall, I would suggest this to someone who likes very chewy bars, and is looking for a little...very subtle...twist.  But, for those of us who are pressed for time, and lack a cake mix in our cupboards...stick with the original version. 

This recipe left me with bars and cookies that are still setting on the kitchen counter.  I'm eating them, more or less, to get rid of them.  Heading to the treadmill right after this post.   

If you're interested in trying them yourself, here's what you do...

Ingredients:
  • 3 T Butter
  • 1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows
  • 1/3 cup cake mix (I used Funfetti.  The original recipe calls for Yellow.)
  • 5 cups Rice Krispies
  • Sprinkles (2.75 ounces - I didn't use the exact amount).

Melt the butter, then add the marshmallows.  Once the marshallows begin to melt.  Add the cake batter gradually with a spoon, so that you can be assured the cake mix is distributed evenly.

Add, the rice krispies once the marshmallows have melted, and add the sprinkles you've selected.  Then, spread the mixture in a greased/sprayed 9x13 dish.  Then, add the rest of the sprinkles (as shown below by my assistant, JJ). 

Here's our finished product...

We made the cake mix cookies by mixing the remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, and two eggs.  Then, placed them in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment