Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kale Chips


For my first Pinterest experiment I started easy.  Kale chips.  I had found the pin through snack-girl.com and it’s awesome!  I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make these tasty little things.  I must admit, I was pretty skeptical. 

Kale Chips Recipe  (2 servings)

1 bunch fresh kale (or 1/2 pound)
2 teaspoons olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
salt to taste

Heat oven to 500 F. Line rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Tear the leaves off the thick stems into chip sized pieces. An easy way to do this is to fold the leaf in half and just rip toward the stem. Put in bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt to taste.

Bake 5 minutes or until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.

For one serving = 90 calories (if use olive oil), 5.2 g fat, 10.1 g carbohydrates, 3.3 g protein, 2.0 g fiber, 121 mg sodium, 1 PointsPlus

Adjustments:  Instead of just salt and pepper I added a dash of garlic and a creole seasoning.  Check your chips at around 3 ½ - 4 minutes.  Mine were starting to get pretty crispy and dark well before the 5 minute mark. To cut the fat next time I will try them without the olive oil and just use a cooking spray.  

Cost:  CHEAP! I bought one bunch of kale on sale for 99 cents.  I had olive oil and the spices already at home.  Beats the crap out of a $4 bag of Ruffles.

Overall:  These are crispy and taste great but not necessarily going to feed your “crunchy” craving.  They are thin and almost melt on your tongue.  Points for being much healthier than a normal chip and no condiments like ketchup, ranch or dip are needed.  Simple and delicious.  I paired this with a tuna sandwich and it was a great meal that was ready from start to finish in less than 10 minutes.  

Rating: Thumbs up!

Fresh kale broken into pieces and ready to bake

Yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment