Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Powdered laundry soap


2 cups finely grated soap (Ivory, Fels Naptha, Zote, homemade, or a combination)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda



Mix and store in a coffee can or what have you. Use 1-2 T per load.

This is so easy!! You have to try it!

I found all the products needed to make this at the local hardware store (who would have thought!). I had a bar of soap at home so I decided to use that instead of the Fels Naptha since I didn’t know if I would like the laundry soap or not.

I took an empty, clean ice cream pale & added the borax and washing soda. Then I used an old hand held cheese grater I had lying around, but never used, to grate the soap. I had to cut the soap in half length-wise to get it to fit in the grater but it worked perfectly. 2 cups is approximately one bar of soap. My hand got a little tired after awhile, but well worth it! Once the soap is grated mix it together & cover with the lid... that’s it!

You really don’t need more than 1-2T per load. It doesn’t soap as much as store bought soap so don’t freak out. But this also makes it good to use in HE washing machines.

The clothes seem as clean as with the store bought detergent. They smell like the soap I used (so chose wisely when picking soap). The only thing I really noticed is they seem a little stiffer so to beat that I add vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser and it seems to help! Once you dry your clothes you won’t smell the vinegar on them.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to use all natural soap or is sick of paying for laundry detergent. It took approximately 10 minutes from start to finish and costs much less than buying laundry detergent. I paid just under $10 for the ingredients and have at least 50 loads of detergent out of one batch. Plus I have extra Borax and washing soda left to make more when I run out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment