Thursday, August 30, 2012

Decorative plates


Decorate dollar store plates

Review by Lyndee
In my head this was going to be the coolest present my Grandma Jean ever received. The instructions were simple:  Buy a plate from Dollar Store, write on it with a Sharpie marker, bake at 150 for 30 minutes and it is permanent! I bought a plate and a coffee mug for a whopping $2 and invested in some new sharpies since the ones at our house or pretty hit and miss to complete projects.  The thing about new sharpies?  They have a very fine tip and I had a pretty large plate.  I wanted to do a family tree of sorts on the plate for grandma.  Then realized, with almost 50 people in the family, it was going to be hard to fit everyone’s names on it.  Yes, I said 50. When you have 8 kids that have their own kids which married and had their own kids, you’re looking at needing a turkey platter instead of a plate.  I really hope I didn't forget any of the cousins because I will never hear the end of it.  I tried to draw a heart, diamond, spade and club on the coffee mug because my grandma loves cards and it’s one of my favorite activities to do with her.  Let’s just say, I am not an artist.  The plate and mug both look like a 3rd grade art project.  I suck at drawing and free hand.  Next time, I will try using stencils so that I can make bigger, thicker letters and a much prettier design.  Knowing my grandma she will enjoy this less than perfect creation anyway because, let’s face it, the woman loves the crap out of me.  So hopefully she appreciates the homemade-ness and thought and love put into it.  After I baked the plates and mug and they had cooled, I ran them under water and toweled them off to see if it was indeed permanent and “baked on” now.  That part was a success.  I haven’t put it in the dishwasher or anything yet but I will leave that up to grandma after she uses them.  I will definitely try this again for a few Christmas presents because I have a great idea for my dad, brother and uncles. Stencils and I are going to become BFF's.  



1 comment:

  1. Grandma Jean is going to love it! I think it turned out really nice, and I like your comment about using a turkey platter!

    ReplyDelete