Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Roasted chick peas

Review by Rachael

Last night I tried to make a roasted chick pea pin that I had found through snack-girl.com.  I’m not a huge fan of chick peas but these sounded like they were worth the try of a healthy chip alternative.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe (4 servings)

1-15.5 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat oven to 450 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drain chickpeas, rinse, and put them in a bowl. Mix oil, salt, and pepper with chickpeas and spread them on baking sheet.

Put them in the oven. After 15 minutes shake the pan to ensure that the chickpeas brown evenly. Roast another 15 minutes until brown and crunchy. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

For one serving = 161 calories (again, cut down calories and fat by using spray instead of oil), 4.7 g fat, 25.0 g carbohydrates, 0 g sugar, 5.5 g protein, 4.9 g fiber, 329 mg sodium, 4 PointsPlus

Spicy versus sweet

I was excited at this point because they had a great aroma while baking
I decided to try roasting half the can sweet and the other half spicy.  I did the cayenne pepper and garlic on half of the batch and on the other I did brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon.  When they came out of the oven they smelled awesome but they tasted pretty bland.  Perhaps I didn’t use enough seasoning?  They were ok but nothing that I was going to gobble down in one sitting.  I tried a few of each kind and then put them into baggies, thinking I would bring them in to work to share.  I left them at room temperature as instructed.  This morning when I tried them they were not good.  Apparently you can eat them at room temperature but it should be while they are fresh.  I was hoping this could be a snack I could keep with me on a road trip like almonds or pistachios but after a few hours they lose their “crunch” and the taste of chick peas overtook the seasoning I had added.

If you enjoy chick peas in general, then I would say go ahead and try this.  It’s was about as easy as a recipe can get from start to finish.  It only took a few minutes to prep and then they were baked for 30 minutes.  Also, it’s a cheap experiment for sure! The can I bought was around $1 and I had all the seasoning and olive oil at home.  If you’re not a fan of chick peas or the texture of hummus or bland beans, then I would probably not recommend giving them a try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment