Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cheesecake stuffed strawberries


Cheesecake-Stuffed Strawberries
Review by Rachael

What You Need:
1 lb. strawberries, washed and dried
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
3-4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
graham cracker crumbs
piping bag (or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off)

First slice the green tops off your strawberries. If they are not already hollow, clean out the insides a bit.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Fill your piping bag (or plastic bag) with the cheese mixture and fill each strawberry.At this point you can cover them up and pop them in the fridge until you are ready to serve! Once it's time for dessert, pull them out and sprinkle with the graham cracker crumbs! 

Review by Rachael
These sounded so good I ran to the store to buy the items I didn’t have to make them ASAP. To help cut a little bit of fat from the recipe I opted for Neufchatel cheese instead (1/3 less fat) and low fat graham crackers.



After prepping the strawberries I started putting together the cream cheese mixture. The recipe calls for 3-4 Tbsp. of powder sugar, I put in 4. The mixture is pretty thick when you are done. I didn’t have a piping bag so I grabbed a sandwich bag (mistake #1) not thinking about it I also grabbed a fold over top bag instead of one that seals shut (mistake #2). 

There is enough cheese mixture that you will want to use a quart size bag. Although I was determined to fit it in the sandwich bag, as I already had ½ of the mixture in there, I wasn’t giving up that easy. I stuffed it so full that I couldn’t get the end to even twist. Big mistake! 

I then snipped a little too much of the corner off (mistake #3), which caused an excessive amount to come out of the bag when trying to fill the berries. At one point I had the cream cheese mixture coming out from every open area of the bag. Looking back it was funny, but not at the time. I did get them all filled but the end ones were not so pretty. 

I then took two graham crackers and put them in a sandwich bag (one that seals this time) and began making my crumbs. One would have been enough for this recipe. I sprinkled on the crackers and this is what I ended up with. 


So they don’t look great, but it was my first attempt! Let’s see how they taste!




They were okay…all I could really taste was the strawberry. I wanted a little more graham cracker crunch with it. If I make these again I think I would mix the graham cracker in with the cream cheese mixture so you have some of it inside the strawberry as well. 

I had some help in my taste testing and here are the reviews. 
1. “Only taste the strawberry. Waste of time adding stuff to the middle” (and no this wasn’t a review from me)
2. “I don’t like the center, can I just pick it out & eat the strawberry” 
3. “These are pretty good”
4. And the last review you have to see for yourself! I found this on the empty plate when I was cleaning up last night. 











No comments:

Post a Comment