Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Greek Style Quinoa

Review by Molly:


I was going to have chicken for dinner and wanted something fun to have for a side.  I recently had a Pampered Chef party and got a lot of seasonings and could not decide if I wanted to use the Greek or the Citrus Basil, so I decided to use them both.  And for my side, I picked Quinoa.  I had seen pre-packaged season Quinoa boxes but I didn't want all that sodium so I decided to season and put together my own creation.  Here's how it went:
1/2 cup dry Quinoa (this is two servings)
1 cup Reduced sodium Chicken broth
a few dashes of the Greek seasoning and the Citrus Basil seasoning.

Bring those to a boil and then cover and turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 15 min.  The Quinoa that I got did not have to be rinsed, thank goodness, but make sure to check the box.
After that was all done, I fluffed up the quinoa, per the instructions on the box.  I then added the following:
1 can no salt added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1/4 cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
The juice of 1 lime
1 cup baby spinach
A few dashes of the Greek seasoning and the Citrus Basil seasoning

This turned out a little soupier then I've seen most Quinoa dishes, so I think next time I would drain some of the juice from the tomatoes*.  I would also cut back on the lime juice.  It basically tasted like tomatoes and lime juice, which is fine with me because they're two of my favorite flavors but I don't think it would be everyone's favorite.  I ate it with a boneless, skinless, chicken breast cooked in my Round Covered Baker with the same two seasoning blends.  It definitely filled me up!
*Well, I did try it again the next evening and used the juice from the tomatoes in with the chicken broth to boil the Quinoa, along with the juice of half of a lime.  It was definately not as liquidy but I ended up burning the Quinoa in the pan because I let it simmer too long.  Gotta check on it while it's soaking up that juice and, if it looks done, fluff away!  Don't base it off the timer!  


No comments:

Post a Comment