Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Healthified brownies

Review by Lyndee:

Tonight I had a hankering for brownies.  I had a mix in the cupboard but didn’t want full fat.  I was out of black beans but I did have applesauce.  I’ve heard that a lot of people swap applesauce for oil when making cakes and other baked goods so I did a little online research and sure enough, found you can do it with brownies too.  The posts I found suggested doubling the amount. If your mix calls for ¼ cup of oil, use ½ a cup of applesauce. 

Ingredients:
1 box brownie mix
2 eggs
¼ cup water
1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce

Preheat oven to 325 and grease a cake pan.  Mix your ingredients according to the directions.  Bake. 

I decided to get crazy and mix up a serving of PB2 and add a little peanut butter to half the brownies for some fun flavor.  PB2 is a healthier version of peanut butter (40 calories versus 190 and minimal fat).  You take two tablespoons of the powder and mix with 1 tablespoon of water.  I mixed that together and added a few dollops to the brownies.

The batter tasted normal and they looked fine when I put them in the oven. I baked for the required time and took them out.  They looked a little “bubbly”.  Like there were little mini air-holes in the batter.  They taste pretty good.  Obviously not the same chewy consistency of normal brownies but like brownies just the same.  And I knew they were so much healthier for me.  I think next time I would bake them in an 8x8 pan instead of a 9 x 13 so they were a little thicker.  


No comments:

Post a Comment