Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Canvas creations


Canvas creations
Review by Lyndee:

I found this old ugly painting on canvas at a garage sale for $1.  I wasn’t quite sure what the heck I was going to do with it but I knew that it could be turned into something at some point down the road.  We don’t have a lot of decorations in our living room except for some pictures.  We have hardwood floors, beige furniture and light tan walls.  I knew that the living room needed a pop of color and decided this would be a great way to do it.  It’s large and would really add to the room if I did this right.  I went to Wal-Mart and spent $3.57 on a can of light green, almost seafoam if you will, spraypaint.  I grabbed a roll of painters tape for $2.50 and off I went to see what I could come up with.  My husband is a huge Beatle’s fan and we had been talking about them while watching VH1 100 greatest artists the night before.  I decided to go with the saying “all you need is love” on the canvas.  I had a small wood lettering that read “love” in cursive.  So all I had to do was tape out the words “all you need is”.  This is a little bit trickier than it sounds.  Of course, I’m not one to measure or be exact so I’m pretty happy with the way it came out and that size of my letters are somewhat close to uniform.  The idea is to put down the tape, paint over it and then the original canvas picture will provide the color for your letters.  

I had to do two coats of the spraypaint as the original paint was dark colors and the new was light.  But, I think it turned out pretty well!  

The kids thought it was great and helped me hang it last night.  




Also, we used the wooden love letters that were now green and put those on a blank white canvas that will flank the large one on the wall.  Maia did a great job of helping me with that project.  Now we have color and a fun love wall that we love.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner!     

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of placing the LOVE on canvas as well. Please post pics of how it looks on the wall. I'm sure it looks awesome!! The timing of this project is very fitting! ;)

    ReplyDelete