Monday, October 1, 2012

Easiest healthy chicken chili ever

Review by Lyndee:
It’s that time of the year when I am looking for soups galore to keep me warm as the cold winter days rapidly approach.  I’m a big fan of chili and I like to add some variation from time to time. I will make it with ground beef, Italian sausage, ground turkey, turkey sausage, etc.  Last night I tried it with ground chicken.  It has about the same nutritional value as a 93% lean ground beef and it costs about half as much.  I got a pound at Fareway for $1.99!! I decided to keep this chili experiment very basic.  Not sure it can get much easier than this. It made a large batch (so I can eat it for lunch this week) and it's pretty healthy too.  

1 pound ground chicken
1 large jar diced tomatoes
1 regular can of chili beans
1 cup medium picante sauce or salsa

Brown the ground chicken in a pot. I used a little onion and minced garlic, salt and pepper while browning the chicken but that’s optional.  You could use the garlic and onion powder too if you didn’t have fresh on hand.  There wasn’t any grease to drain off of the meat which was great. Once browned I added the can of beans, the salsa and a jar of my grandma’s diced tomatoes.  Stir it up and let simmer for about 30 minutes until warmed through.  If you want it spicier you can add a few dashes of hot sauce, cayenne or chili powder.  Top with a slice of fat free American cheese or a dollop of greek yogurt and enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment