Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Salmon cakes


Review by Lyndee:
I like salmon but I prefer when someone else cooks it for me. I never seem to get it quite right.  Last night I decided to go out on a limb and try to make what was deemed “simple salmon cakes”.  My history repeated itself.  

1 pouch chicken of the sea pink salmon
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ mayonnaise (I used fat free)
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp garlic powder
Dash cayenne pepper
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 medium egg beaten (could substitute ¼ cup of egg beaters)
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
¼ tsp seasoned salt
3 tbsp butter

Combine onion, peppers, mayonnaise, lemon juice and seasonings in a bowl.  Stir in salmon, egg and ¼ cup breadcrumbs.  

Form mixture into 4 balls.  Roll in remaining bread crumbs.  Flatten into cakes about ½ inch thick.  In skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Fry 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.

The verdict:
I would use ½ cup of breadcrumbs in the mixture instead of ¼ cup.  My balls did not stick together well and it was hard to coat them in the breadcrumbs before frying.  They basically were just falling apart globs of salmon.  I think maybe I should’ve heated my skillet more before putting them in.  Pretty much I ended up with salmon mush or salmon sloppy joes.  The flavor was awesome so that was a win but as far as having a golden brown cake or burger that I so enjoy, epic fail.  I will try these again to see if more breadcrumbs help hold them together.  If not, I will just eat it as it comes out because it was really yummy.  It would be perfect on a salad or with crackers.  It only took a few minutes to whip up, was cheap to make and much healthier than a salmon burger I would get at a restaurant.  


****************************************UPDATE*******************************
I received the following note from the powers that be at Chicken of the Sea.  They were nice enough to share a tip to get my salmon cakes to stick together better.
Chicken of the Sea Hi Lyndee – Sorry your Salmon cakes turned out a bit sloppy. Next time I would suggest gradually adding the mayonnaise and breadcrumbs to achieve the desired consistency. I do hope you will try them again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment