Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Healthified Jambalaya

Review by Lyndee:
I’m always looking for an easy and healthy meal I can make on Sunday and have for lunch for a few days.  Not only does it save me money and the unhealthy eating out but it saves me the frantic morning raid of the fridge or cupboards if I forget to make something the night before.  I’m nothing if not one that plans ahead, sometimes to the point of annoying those around me.  This Sunday I made a healthified version of jambalaya.  It’s super easy and so tasty! My husband even likes, despite the fact that it has turkey instead of a “manly” meat in it.  The flavor is just too wonderful not to enjoy. 

1 pouch Uncle Ben’s 90 second whole grain brown rice
1 bag of frozen bell peppers and onion mix 
1 can diced tomatoes
1 rope of reduced fat turkey sausage (looks like kielbasa)
2 tsp cajun seasoning
Pepper to taste

In a pot, combine frozen veggies and tomatoes.  Set on medium high heat.  Dice up the turkey and add to the mixture.  Microwave the rice for 90 seconds.  Remember to tear the top of the pouch so that it doesn’t explode as I’ve heard that creates quite the mess.  Once done, add the rice to the mixture along with the Cajun seasoning, black pepper and if you like it really spicy, add a few dashes of hot sauce.  Bring this to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Knowing that I’m going to be reheating it throughout the week and the fact that I like things juicy, I use 2 cans of diced tomatoes when preparing mine.  Or one jar of my grandma’s canned tomatoes from her garden.  Other variations would be to add shrimp or cubed ham.  It just depends on how you like your jambalaya.  You can eat this plain as a meal or if you are feeling crazy, pair it with 3 ounces of a French baguette and a wedge of laughing cow light cheese.  It’s like Mardi Gras in your mouth with every bite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment