Monday, September 24, 2012

Cheesy sticks made out of cauliflower


Review by Lyndee: 
I love cheese bread but it doesn’t fit into healthy living by any means.  High carb, high fat, loaded with cheese is a bad idea, right? So I saw this recipe and thought, even though I don’t like cauliflower, I’m going to give it a try.  It looked good on paper. What could possibly go wrong?  You can do this as one big crust and cut into strips for breadsticks or use it as a pizza crust, or make individual size crusts.  We went with one biggie. 

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 cups riced cauliflower (grate the cauliflower on a cheese grater)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh julienned basil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine riced cauliflower, basil, eggs and mozzarella. Note-make sure your cauliflower is dried off! Suck up any excess moisture you can with paper towels before combining the ingredients. Press evenly on the parchment paper. Bake the crusts at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven.

Ok, first of all, making riced cauliflower is a pain! I have never cut up a head of cauliflower before.  Don’t make that face! No one in my house eats it, why would I?  I took off the hard middle and leaves, washed it off and tried breaking off pieces to grate.  I had cauliflower chunks flying everywhere! I decided this would be better done with a food processor than a grater and manual labor.  I was correct.  I riced up the equivalent of two cups of cauliflower, added the eggs, cheese, garlic, some basil and a few dashes of Italian seasoning.  I mushed it together onto parchment paper and stuck it in the oven for 13 minutes.  It was just beginning to turn golden brown, the kids were starving and the pizza bake was ready so I took it out and sliced it up.  The kids actually ate it.  Of course, they had NO idea that it was cauliflower but they liked it.  It was a little “eggy” for my taste.  Next time I would use just one egg and I would be sure to cook it for the full 15 minutes. 

I think using this as a pizza crust would taste much better because you’d have other flavors involved.  Michael dunked his in his pizza bake and enjoyed it that way.  Or do the breadsticks but follow my bolded suggestion above. If you try it, let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment