Thursday, April 25, 2013

Brown sugar chicken (in the crockpot)

Review by Jami:


Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless breast halves or 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
2/3 cup vinegar (I used white wine, but think regular white would be fine)
3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
2 T soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat free are GF)
1 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:
Plop the chicken into your crockpot. Cover with the brown sugar, pepper, chopped garlic, and soy sauce. Add the vinegar, and pour in the soda. It will bubble!


Cover and cook on low for 6-9 hours, or on high for 4-5. The chicken is done when it is cooked through and has reached desired consistency. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be.


Serve over a bowl of white rice with a ladle full of the broth.

The Plan: I wanted to make a rockin’ chicken dish without a lot of work. Crockpot! I skimmed some online options until I found one that sounded good and only required ingredients I had on hand. No grocery shopping for me, brown sugar chicken was the perfect solution.

The Changes: I actually followed the recipe for once but I used a wild rice mixture rather then white for more nutrition and plate appeal. Some homemade bread and snow peas rounded out the meal for us, but sides are up to you.

The Procedure: Dump everything in the slow cooker as directed. Come back several hours later and feast. Couldn’t be easier.

The Result: This dish was a hit with the family, though I found it a little too sweet. It would be great for kids though and a nice disguise for boring protein.

Recommendations: I used only 3 boneless, skinless breasts and they didn’t need to cook as long since I wasn’t making a large batch. I say start small and test the recipe first. I didn’t love it personally, but everyone else enjoyed it so maybe it’s just me. I give it an “ehh” and probably will experiment with other dishes before coming back to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment