Friday, April 5, 2013

Creamy Avocado Pasta


Review by Jami


Ingredients:
1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
1-3 garlic cloves, to taste (I used 3 and it was super garlicky, but if you are not a big fan of garlic use 1 clove)
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta (I used 3oz of spelt and 3 oz of Kamut spaghetti)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.


Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.


When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Please serve immediately.

Oh She Glows is one of my favorite blogs for recipes. Everything I’ve ever made or tasted is exceptional. Even though I am not a vegan, I try to cook healthy and use natural ingredients. I thought this recipe looked delicious and it had all the ingredients I needed to use up before they went bad. I also added some red bell pepper that was at the end of its life, which ended up being a good decision.

I threw all of the ingredients in the food processor and just a minute later I had a creamy, delicious sauce for a quick and easy pasta dish. I used plain ole spaghetti, but you could use any type of pasta, spaghetti squash or zucchini. I didn’t have fresh garlic on hand so I used a spoonful of minced garlic instead of cloves.

Everyone agreed that the sauce was delish even though it was healthy. I completed the meal with some garlic bread to unveganize it a little. And when I make it again, I think a bit of grilled chicken would be a perfect compliment and add some much-needed protein. The bell pepper gave the sauce a very nice flavor, even though the original recipe did not call for it, I will definitely use it again.  

The original post warned that the sauce does not reheat well, so I kept the leftovers separate in the fridge. I super-heated the noodles, then added the cold sauce which resulted in a semi-warm lunch the next day but it was still just as good. La-la-la love this dish and can’t wait to make this again!

Big ups for 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment