Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cajun Alfredo Spaghetti Squash


Review by Lyndee:

I love pasta but in these days of a healthier lifestyle I have to opt for spaghetti squash over a heaping plate of fettucine.  Does that mean I can never have chicken alfredo again?  The thought of that would be heartbreaking.  No, I’m not going to eat the kind loaded with cream, butter or their evil villain names, high fat and calories.  I decided to make my own version and see if it could satisfy my inner fat girls craving for something tasty. 


Spaghetti squash (cooked and forked into spaghetti)
3 cans 97% fat free chicken breast
¼ cup red pepper
¼ cup yellow pepper
2 green onions
1 jar Classico alfredo light
6 oz plain greek yogurt
1 bag of steamfresh broccoli
½ cup diced tomatoes
¼ baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp parmesan
2 tbsp feta cheese

You can remove or add any veggies you like but this is what I went for in my experiment. While the spaghetti squash is baking and the broccoli is cooking, add garlic, onions and peppers to a large sauce pan on medium heat for a few minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients and let this simmer for about 15 minutes (or until warmed through).  You can add more hot sauce, pepper, or other seasonings that you desire to taste.  I was good with what I had.  It turned out super creamy with a perfect amount of kick (I doubled the hot sauce but most people will probably want less heat).  Once heated thoroughly, place on a bed of spaghetti squash and enjoy.  It’s that simple and much less fat and calories than you would get at Olive Garden.  The only thing I would change is that I would cook up some chicken breasts and cube next time, rather than using the lazy lady canned chicken.  It doesn’t pack quite the juicy flavor of a real chicken breast.  If you're not worried about carbs serve it over regular or whole wheat pasta.  Spaghetti squash can get a little watery but you wouldn't have that problem with standard pasta.
*Warning: this made a HUGE batch. I did this on purpose so I had my lunch for the week all ready to go.  


No comments:

Post a Comment