Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Easy French Silk Pie, oui oui


French Silk Pie
Review by Lyndee:
When Maia came to me and said she needed help to make a food for French class I was scared.  French food just sounds like a lot of work.  I’ve seen Julie Childs cookbooks.  But lucky for me Maia went with an easy recipe of French Silk Pie.  Unlike my mom and grandma’s, I’m not a pie baker by any means, but the ready-made crusts make it almost too easy these days.  No, it doesn’t taste quite as good as my families from scratch pies but it definitely did the trick for this project. 

1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 pasteurized eggs* or 1 cup fat-free egg product

Heat oven to 425°F. Remove crust and put in pan. Poke holes with a fork.  Press the sides gently onto pan.  Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. 

Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat; cool. In small bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled chocolate and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on high speed 2 minutes after each addition; beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Fill pie shells with chocolate mixture. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.

Maia and I both made the mistake of tasting the unsweetened chocolate.  Nasty!  I thought how are three small squares of that crap going to make this into a delicious pie?  But it did, to our surprise.  We made two of these.  The first one I didn’t add the eggs one by one and beat smooth and fluffy in between. It showed as the filling was a bit flat.  The second pie we followed the directions and it turned out to be much better looking.  I think they both taste the same but pie two wins the presentation contest.  

After letting it cool for 2 hours we cut some small pieces to try and topped with a dollop of whipped cream.  It was pretty good, although very rich.  I would say that our first pie making experiment together was a success. Hopefully she gets a good grade at school.  Thanks, Maia, for letting me help you with this.  It was fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment