Friday, September 7, 2012

Uh oh cookie dough & a delicious dip


Review by Lyndee:
Everyone in Iowa seems to be wearing an Iowa or Iowa State t-shirt today.  Tomorrow is the “super bowl” of college football here in the state with rival Hawkeyes and Cyclones.  In honor of this day we are having a tailgate food day at work where everyone brings in a dish to share and sports their favorite colors. I am, of course, in my Iowa black and gold.  Last night after work and hours of running around with the kiddos I made two things for today.  The first was the cheddar bacon dip.  The pinner wasn’t lying when they said it was a bit like crack. Holy cow this thing was super simple to make and the bite I had to taste test was to die for!  This would be a super simple dip for tailgating. Make it the night before, refrigerate and then serve at tailgating with chips, crackers or veggies. 

Cheddar Bacon Dip
16 oz sour cream
1 packet Ranch dressing mix
3 oz bacon bits (in the bag not jar)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together and refrigerate 24 hours. Serve with chips, crackers or veggies. You could reduce the fat with a light sour cream and reduced fat cheese too! 


Next I tried the Rolo stuffed cookies.  The recipe called for snickerdoodle dough, which I couldn’t find at the grocery store so I went with sugar cookie. I mean, come on, you can never really go wrong with sugar cookie, right? 

Rolo Stuffed Snickerdoodles
1 batch store-bought or homemade snickerdoodle dough
2 rolls of Rolo’s (16 candies)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Flatten 1 tablespoon dough and wrap around Rolo candy. Roll into ball and set on cookie sheet.

First of all, my sugar cookie dough was really sticky. I’m not sure why. I went straight from the refrigerated aisle at the store and home to bake it.  The first roll I did the way I was instructed on a cookie sheet.  Something just told me they weren’t going to go as smoothly as planned, so I did the second batch in mini muffin tins.  They sure looked cute going in the oven.  They smelled awesome when they came out too. But when I went to remove them, they were breaking apart in the tins.  And the cookies on the sheet all melted into one giant oddly shaped cookie.  Don’t believe me?  Yeah, check out the video to see just how odd they look. 


Good news is, they still tasted really good.  So hooray for that.  A for taste, D on presentation.  Hey, at least I didn’t burn them.  I’m taking that as a win.  




1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping you have leftovers after you leave work. These look like they need my professional opinion on how they taste!

    ReplyDelete