Monday, September 10, 2012

Hot Spinach Salsa Queso Dip


Review by Lyndee:

10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 lb Velveeta cheese (2% fat--this is the reduced fat version)
8 ounces cream cheese (light)
1 jar salsa (I used 3/4 full jar of a 16 ounce jar)
A handful of chopped cilantro (optional-but good)


1) Cut the Velveeta and cream cheese into cubes and place all ingredients in an oven safe dish and bake until the dip is heated through--continuing to stir to mix all ingredients.
2) OR, you can place all ingredients in a crockpot and heat until cheese has melted (continuing to stir the mixture to combine ingredients). This particular method is great if you can leave it on the low setting--then your dip will stay warm for a while. But I bet it won't last!
3) Serve warm with tortilla chips.



I chose the crockpot option. It was easy enough to make but it’s a little expensive for a dip.  Velveeta is $6 a box, $1 for cream cheese, $1.75 for spinach, $3 for salsa, 99 cents for cilantro and $3 for a bag of chips, so almost $15 for a dip.  And it wasn’t my favorite.  It’s VERY cheesy.  I love cheese, it’s like my favorite food group but this was really thick and all you could taste was the velveeta.  Next time I would scale back the velveeta, add another cream cheese and more salsa so it wasn’t so thick and gloppy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment