Friday, March 15, 2013

Irish Eyes -- They'll Make You Smile!

I am 50% Irish, and I wanted to celebrate by making my co-workers some little treats.  I needed something easy and quick and something that would incorporate the kids helping since they ALWAYS want to "help"!

At first, I thought I would make Clover Coins (yes, I came up with that)...however, my clover was too big for the coin, and my snack turned into Irish Eyes (yes, I came up with that, too!).
Here's what you'll need:
  • Pretzel Rings.  After doing this project, I would suggest using the pretzels with a checkered pattern within the circle.  Some of my Rolos fell through the circle pretzel.  But, I know that you can find buttered pretzels that have the checkered pattern and are circular.  That's what I will use next time. 
  • Rolos (we used two bags) You could also use Hershey Kisses.
  • Plain M&M's (we used two bags and only used the green M&Ms)
  • No twists for needed in my experiment since these snacks changed from coins to eyes (haha).
Here's what you'll do:
1. Lay down wax paper on a pan, and place all your pretzels flat on the pan.  And, place one rolo in the center of each pretzel.

2.  Then place these in the oven at 250 degrees for five minutes.  You will want the chocolate very warm, not melted.

3.  While in the oven start separating out your green M&M's to have them ready to go when the chocolate/pretzel comes out of the oven.
3. Then, once you take them out of the oven quickly press a green M&M onto each chocolate.
4. Then, I placed them in the fridge to help them set/harden.  Yes, you can see one little "Clover Coin" in the bottom left of the above picture.  Three M&M's and a piece of green licorice were just a little too much for a small bite-size treat like this.  "Irish Eyes" were definitely more easy to make and enjoy!

These little Irish Eyes were a hit!  I set them on the counter at work for all to enjoy in the morning, and they were gone by noon!

No comments:

Post a Comment