Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Healthified turkey nachos


Review by Lyndee:
As I told you yesterday, we have a LOT of smoked turkey left over. My husband and the kids aren’t big on eating leftovers so I’m trying to be creative because god knows I’m not going to throw 8 pounds of turkey away.  That’s just not the way this girl was raised! I glanced around the kitchen to see what else I had to use up with it. I saw some green onions, light sour cream and a bag and a half of tortilla chips left over from the  crab rangoon dip and thought to myself, how about some nachos?!? Ok, I admit, turkey nachos are not a hot seller on any restaurant menu but I figured it was worth a shot. Maybe we could start a revolution. How different from chicken nachos could they be?   

12-14 tortilla chips (standard one serving)
¼ cup reduced fat shredded cheese
½ cup shredded turkey
1 green onion
Light or fat free sour cream
Salsa or picante sauce

I placed my chips on a single layer on the plate then topped with the turkey, onion and cheese.  Microwave for 30 seconds.  Add a spoonful of sour cream and salsa and dig in.  Also, if you are more adventurous, you could add olives, tomatoes and whatever else you wanted.

These nachos were surprisingly yummy! The smoked turkey added a great flavor.  Then entire process took about 3 minutes total.  They were easy, delicious and MUCH healthier than any nachos you could get at a restaurant that are covered in processed cheese sauce to the point your chips turn into mush.  You could also try them with a baked or whole grain tortilla to save some additional calories.  I will definitely be making these again before the turkey is gone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment