Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Swiss Steak -- A "Make the House Smell Good" Meal

This is one of my favorite meals I remember as a kid.  My mom would make Swiss Steak using Cream of Mushroom soup -- dang, it was good.  Add some mashed potatoes, or some egg noodles with that entree, and I was in pure nirvana!  Also, this meal is one of my hubby's favorites, so he's been having a stressful week, and I decided to try this one out.  Lastly, I have to add that it is a little customary for our Swiss Steak meal to be a bit sentimental since John and I served this as one of our entrees at our wedding....can I get a collective "AWWWWW"???  

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of round steak (cut each steak in half)
  • 1 cup flour
  • salt and pepper for flavor
  • mushrooms
  • onion
  • 2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
In a baggie, combine the flour, salt and pepper.  Then, coat each round steak with the flour mixture, and place it a greased pan.  

Fry each steak until slightly browned around the edges.  Then, place all into a slow cooker.  
Slice up your onion and add however much onion you like (it is optional), but us Germans, we like ONION!!  Then, add some fresh mushrooms -- I do not suggest using mushrooms from the can -- yuck! Just sprinkle the onions and mushrooms over top of the steaks.
Lastly, add two cans of Cream of Mushroom soup (I use one regular (for taste), and one light version (to help cut calories).
Cook it all in the slow cooker on HIGH for three to four hours.  Or, LOW for no more than eight hours.  Do not lift that lid, no matter how tempting.

Serve this with some mashed potatoes over egg noodles.  You'll have a nice mushroom gravy to accompany it all.  

*** TT123 TIP *** 
Deer hunting season in Iowa is coming up, and sometimes people do not like the gamey taste of venison, but this would be a great way to make up any venison steaks.  I would recommend tenderizing the venison steak first with a mallet.  Venison would need to be tenderized first in order to gain the consistency of a round steak.  The Cream of Mushroom is always good for taking the gamey taste out of the meat.  

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment