Monday, November 19, 2012

Sparkly Headboard with Tulle Bedskirt

My little princess has been in need of a headboard for her bed.  The butterflies trying to camoflouge the missing headboard just didn't seem to be cutting it any longer.  


I've seen lots of ideas online, but also knew that out in the back lawnmower garage, was an old, brown, dingy headboard that the hubby had purchased at an auction years ago.  I finally decided to use this for Emma's headboard, as opposed to the mice using it in the back garage.  So, I cleaned it up, and primed it (two coats of primer to cover that old brown color).  
Little Emma's room is butterfly-themed.  A year ago I made her some shimmery-looking curtains in lavendar, so I decided to paint the headboard in that color as well (a light lavendar).  
Then, most little girls I know (including my own) loves anything SPARKLY!!  I tried to find paint that had sparkles in it, and I did find it online for more than $40 per gallon.  I'm not spending that kind of money on headboard paint!!!  So, here's what I did:

  • Purchase some sparkles from any craft aisle at any department store (I purchased white-colored sparkles).
  • After a second coat of your paint, pour some of those sparkles into your hand.
  • About 6-12 inches from your paint job, blow those sparkles from your hand and onto the paint.  
  • Continue doing this until you've covered the entire area.
  • Let dry for twenty-four hours.
  • Spray a coat of CLEAR spray paint over top of the sparkled paint to add a layer of protectant over the sparkles.  

Next, my TT123 partner-in-crime, Lyndee, and Godmama to my little princess told me about a wonderful idea to add even more princess pizzazz to the bed -- a tutu bedskirt -- awesome!!!  Here's what you'll need:
  • One fitted bed sheet (size depending on your bed).
  • Tulle (I prefer the rolls pictured below for ease in cutting your strips).  
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape.
For a queen-size bed, we used 240 feet of tulle.  And, we could have used more.  If I did this project again. I would double the amount of tulle we had, so that the tulle bedskirt would appear fuller.  Instead of using one sheet of tulle per hole, I would use at LEAST two, to give it a fuller look.  

Here's how we did it:
  • Cut two slits around the top of the fitted sheet about an inch apart horizontally parallel to one another (like an equals sign).  Space each "equals sign" about two-three fingers length around the perimeter of the bed (sans the head of the bed). 
  • Then, loop each strand of tulle (I would suggest two strands of tulle for a fuller look) through the "equals sign and tie (just a simple cross tie -- like you do on the first step of tying your shoe).  

And, here is Emma's new "Princess Bed", and it didn't cost nearly what it would have cost if we had purchased the sparkly paint, and a professionally made tulle bed skirt.
DIY, Baby!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment