Thursday, January 24, 2013

Healthified patty melt

Review by Lyndee:

Ingredients:
4 oz lean ground beef or turkey
2 slices light Italian bread
2 slices fat free American cheese (could sub pepper jack, mozzarella, or swiss too)

I’m a cornfed girl and I love a great burger but I hate the fat and calories that come with ordering it at a restaurant!  It’s ridiculous.  1200 calories and 50 grams of fat at some chain restaurants and that’s not counting any sides.  So why spend $13 on something terrible for you when you can make it at home for way less money and much healthier?  Exactly!  I’m glad we can agree on that. 

I threw four ounces of 93% lean ground beef on the mini Forman grill with a little chipotle rub from pampered chef.  While that is cooking, make your melt bread.  Use butter spray or I can’t believe it’s not butter light and spread on one side of the bread.  Put each piece butter side down in a pan with one piece of cheese on top.  If you want a great taste of flavor, sprinkle a bit of garlic powder in the pan before putting in the bread.  Once the burger is done place it between the breads (cheese side in, obviously) and cook for about 30 seconds each side or until a perfect golden brown.  I ate mine with one tablespoon of Ken’s light honey mustard dressing.  So delicious! Seriously.    

And calories?
170 beef
80 bread
50 cheese

That’s 300 calories and 9 grams of fat compared to somewhere like Applebee’s or T.G.I.Fridays.  Adding the honey mustard was an additional 2.5 grams of fat and 80 calories.  Pair with my Biggest Loser sweet potato fries and you have a perfect meal on your hands for under 500 calories.  You just can’t go wrong with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment