Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mirror mirror on the...hope chest


Review by Lyndee:

I saw this mirror on the curb other day and it was whispering sweetly, “Lyndee, take me home, make me into something cool!”  I couldn’t leave the poor thing out in the cold so I did just what it asked me to do.  Well, let me rephrase that, I attempted to make it into something cool. The ideas was great but sometimes, things don’t work out as planned. 

I had a upper case living piece from my friend Lokhoy that I had been itching to put on something.  What better than a mirror?  Everyone should be reminded that they are beautiful when they look into a mirror, right?  Right.  I’m glad we agree on that.  The edges of this mirror had some old crap on them so I thought I would paint a border and then put the sign on.  I taped it off with painters tape and used a blue acrylic around the edges. 



When I removed the tape it was not the crisp lines that I had dreamt it would be.  Some of the paint pulled off, some had run a bit and it just didn’t look right.  Not sure how I will fix this. Maybe a razor blade.  Maybe peel it all off?  Figure out a better paint to use on glass?  Not put it on so thick next time?  I don’t know.  It’s sitting on my hope chest for now until I can come up with a way to fix it and how to hang it.  A for effort.  C for execution.  You win some, you lose some, I guess.  


2 comments:

  1. You should head to your area hardware store, and purchase some mop board trim. Cut it using the miter saw, and paint it whatever color you want, and then glue it to the trim of the mirror (over the paint). I think you'd be really impressed how nice it will look again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a look at this link...it's a tutorial of what I'm talking about...

    http://www.billiemonster.com/blog/article/how-to-frame-a-mirror-with-wood-molding

    ReplyDelete